SEND Report Information

How does the school know if learners need extra help?

All learners referred to Three Towers have additional needs.  To fully identify these needs, all learners are assessed on entry and a special educational needs or SEN profile is created.  A range of wider evidence is collected through liaison with previous schools, parents and other agencies.  If this suggests that your child is not making the expected progress, we will use a personalised learning programme which may involve additional and/or different provision along with any further assessments as deemed necessary.

Who are the best people in the school to talk to about my child’s special educational needs, disability or difficulties with learning (additional needs) or if I am concerned about my child’s progress?

The first step is to speak to your child’s key worker or form tutor.  If your concerns continue you may wish to speak to:

  • SENDCo – Mrs C Arstall
  • Pastoral managers

KS2 – Mrs Higgins;              KS3 – Mrs Banks;                 KS4 – Mrs Kelly;             Blended – Mrs Scott.

  • Assistant SENDCo KS2 – Mrs J Featherstone

How will school staff support my child?

All learners will be supported in their day to day activities by the pastoral team, who will oversee their learning package and timetable.  Depending on the intervention required, your child may be working at times in a one to one setting aimed at supporting literacy and/or numeracy and/or social skills (emotional literacy).  Some learners may require further assessment from specialist agencies.  Throughout the day opportunity is given to develop communication and social skills.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All of our teachers are teachers of children with special educational needs.  All teachers plan to include everyone in their lessons and work is provided at the appropriate levels for children to access their learning and make good progress.

All key staff have access to information about your child, their needs and how best to support them and this information is incorporated into personalised lesson plans. When appropriate, additional specialist advice may be sought from other professionals e.g. Educational Psychology or Speech and Language, and any recommendations will be incorporated into personalised pupil profiles.

How will both you and I know how my child/ young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?

If staff are concerned about your child’s progress, they may call you to discuss this and consider more ways to support the child.  You will also have the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress during parent review meetings and through regular contact with your child’s keyworker, form tutor and/or pastoral manager.

If it is felt that additional support will be required for the longer term we may decide to initiate a statutory assessment.  At all points in this process parent/carer views will be sought and incorporated into the plan.  If your child has a statement or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), an annual review will be held in accordance with the guidance in the Special Educational and Disabilities Code of Practice.

How does the school ensure that teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child’s additional needs?

All staff undertake regular Continuing Professional Development (CPD) delivered either in-house, online or by external providers.  Our SENDCo and Assistant SENDCos are qualified teachers who have received a qualification in special educational needs.  All staff have undertaken training on the SEND Code of Practice 2014 as well as other more specialist training e.g. dyslexia friendly schools, nurturing settings.  Regular training is given to appropriate staff on intervention programmes such as Maths Recovery and Soundswrite.  All support staff receive regular training in areas such as literacy, numeracy, ASD and ADHD.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

Your child will receive the highest quality teaching from their subject teacher but support may be given in the following areas:

  • Literacy and numeracy interventions
  • Emotional Literacy
  • PSHE
  • Personal Development and Resilience
  • Counselling

We may also liaise with other professionals and specialist services including:

  • Educational Psychology (EPS)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS)
  • Speech and Language (SALT)
  • Occupational therapy (OT)
  • Sensory support service
  • School nurse
  • Social Care
  • Careers, further education and training advice

How will you support my child to reach his/her learning goals?

Three Towers follows the SEND Code of Practice 2014 by following the Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle.

We will:

  • Assess your child’s needs on entry and then termly thereafter;
  • Plan the most effective and appropriate interventions and use this to create a personalised learning programme;
  • Do the intervention;
  • Review the impact on your child’s progress towards their learning outcomes and review their learning programme, altering as necessary.

What is an EHC Plan and who can request one for my child?

The SEND Code of Practice 2014 states that:

‘The purpose of an EHC plan is to make special educational provision to meet the special educational needs of the child or young person, to secure the best possible outcomes for them across education, health and social care and, as they get older, prepare them for adulthood.’

To achieve this, local authorities use the information from the assessment to:

  • establish and record the views, interests and aspirations of the parents and child or young person;
  • provide a full description of the child or young person’s special educational needs and any health and social care needs;
  • establish outcomes across education, health and social care based on the child or young person’s needs and aspirations;
  • specify the provision required and how education, health and care services will work together to meet the child or young person’s needs and support the achievement of the agreed outcome’

You, your child (if aged 16 years and over) and/or the school, usually the SENDCo, can request that the Local Authority conduct an assessment of your child’s needs which may lead to an EHC plan.

How are the setting/school resources allocated and matched to learners special educational needs?

On entry into the school, learners are required to complete a number of assessments which show the learner’s individual needs and support is allocated as necessary.  We then monitor progress over time in a number of areas including:

  • Attendance/punctuality
  • Termly data tracking – academic and emotional literacy
  • Progress towards behaviour targets
  • Reports from specialists e.g. Educational Psychology / Speech and Language
  • Three Towers 360

What support will there be for my child’s happiness and wellbeing at school?

The happiness and wellbeing of all learners is an integral part of our ethos.  Every learner has an identified/named member of staff who they can speak to about any issues, both in and out of school.  There is also a school counsellor who works with learners when needed.  However, all staff are all available to support your child to ensure they have a happy and productive time.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the next stage of education and life including reintegration into a mainstream school?

We understand that transitions at any stage can be difficult and stressful and so individual support packages are put into place.  As part of the reintegration back into mainstream, the pastoral manager will arrange a review meeting to plan a reintegration programme which may include a phased reintegration, support from the Three Towers staff and regular reviews of progress.

Transition into further education is coordinated by the Pastoral Team and our careers advisor. Taster sessions, open days and careers interviews are an integral part of the year 11 calendar.  Three Towers also holds an annual careers fayre for KS4 which is attended by local colleges as well as post-16 providers.  Parents/carers are also encouraged to attend.

Who can we contact for further information?

Your first point of contact if you want to discuss your child is your child’s key worker/form tutor.  If your concern is subject specific you should contact the subject teacher.  If your concern is regarding your child’s additional needs you should contact the school SENDCo, Assistant SENDCo or your child’s Pastoral Manager.  If you have further concerns you may contact a member of the school leadership team.

Where can I find additional information?

Further information may be found in the document ‘Special Educational Needs, A guide for Parents.’